- Name-brand modern fly rods and reels with an original MSRP over $150, or any other modern tackle you believe to be worth over $75.
- Historic name-brand fly rods and reels in good, working condition.
- Any other gear that is good condition. We've taken trades for everything from skis to collectible knives to plugs, but these items aren't eligible for our fixed price.
- Gear must be in fishable condition. NO BROKEN EQUIPMENT. We cannot repair it,
You get a fixed price
1. Simply send an e-mail to [email protected] with the make, model, condition, and any other relevant info - year, color, special features, etc. Photos are generally not necessary.
2. We'll e-mail you an estimate, but we won't be able to determine the final value until we actually see the product.
3. If the price is acceptable, ship the product to us. Once we receive it, we'll thoroghly review it to ensure that it's in good shape and then give you our final valuation. If it is below our original estimate, and too low for you too accept, we'll ship it back to you.
4. We'll e-mail you a gift card for the quoted amount.
But sometimes, we're just not sure...
If can't come up with a good price for your gear, we'll offer you our auction option. It works like this:
1. Send us your gear and we'll sell it for you on eBay, then...
2. We'll give you a gift card for the sale price, less eBay fees (10%) and outbound shipping costs (a flat $20 for reels, 4-piece rods, and other small items, $40 for two piece rods and larger items).
So, if your item sells for $300 and it's a reel, you'll receive $250 in store credit.
1. Can I use this gift card on sale and closeout items? YES! All of our gift cards are same-as-cash, however due to extremely limited quantities, we recommend purchasing any closeouts BEFORE completing your trade. We are more than happy to refund you once we receive the items, but you must let us know BEFORE your purchase (see #5).
2. Can I use this gift card in conjunction with coupons? YES! All of our gift cards are same-as-cash.
3. How do you value trade in items? Our valuations are based on actual sales prices during the last 90 days (not as a % of retail). We evaluate all trades from a fishing perspective (as opposed to a collectors) only, so if you have rare, unique, and/or collectible items, we'll work with you to ensure you're getting a fair price. Finally, it's important to note that, like automobiles, fly rods lose a fair bit of their value when they are purchased.
5. Can the gift card be applied to something I've already purchased? No. Trade-ins are intended for future purchases only. You must have explicit approval from our staff BEFORE you purchase an item if you would like to be refunded after the fact.
6. What if I change my mind? All trades are FINAL. That means that we can't ship stuff back to you if you change your mind. But you'll have a full 365 days to use your store credit.
Important Packaging Information:
1. PLEASE, please, DO NOT use styrofoam peanuts as a packing material. It's bad for the environment and creates a huge mess for us.
2. Please clean your gear before sending it. We like to use a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, but a damp cloth will do just fine. If you send us a rod that is full of dust and water spots, you'll get $5 less on the trade since we have to clean it.
3. Please be sure to include all relevant contact information (name, e-mail address, phone number) when you send in your gear. We do a lot of trades and need to know which gear is yours.
4. Remember to insure your package. We aren't responsible if it gets lost in the mail.
5. It will take us up to 3 business days to process your trade after it arrives. While we are more than happy to let you know that your package has arrived, this will only delay our trade-in process. We kindly request that you wait at least 3 days after your tackle has arrived before contacting us.
Please send all tackle to:
Trident Fly Fishing
190 Riverside St
Portland, ME 04103