How to Tie the PMX Parachute Madam X Dry Fly
Learn how to tie the Parachute Madam X Dry Fly pattern, including step-by-step instructions, a video tutorial, pictures, and much more. Improve your fly-tying skills here.
Trident Fly Fishing is a full-service fly shop. We spend a lot of time testing gear and writing reviews to give you all of the tools to make your next trip a success. We are not a blog or a review site. 100% of our funding comes from your gear purchases, so if this blog post helps you on your next fly fishing adventure, please support us by buying your gear from us
The original Madam X was designed and popularized by Doug Swisher in the early 1980's in Montana's Bitterroot Valley. A fantastic attracter dry fly that floats high and is easy to see. A perfect fly to use with a dropper fly. This is a parachute adaptation of his original fly often called the PMX and typically tied in sizes 6 - 12.
- Hook: Mustad R43 1 XF/3XL size 12
- Thread Abdomen: Veevus GSP 50D in White
- Thread Thorax: Veevus GSP 50D in Black
- Tail: Hareline Bleached Deer Hair
- Abdomen: UTC single Strand Floss in Red
- Wing: Hareline Bleached Deer Hair
- Post: Hairline Para Post in White
- Legs: Hareline Medium Round Rubber White
- Hackle: Whiting Dry Fly Cape Grizzly
- Thorax: Hairline Strung Peacock Herl