How to Tie the Gray Drake Spinner Dry Fly Pattern
Learn how to tie the Gray Drake Spinner dry fly pattern, including step-by-step instructions, a video tutorial, pictures, and much more. Improve your fly-tying skills here.
Ed McCoy of Michigan came up with this mayfly pattern several years ago. It's a variation of a parachute dry fly in that the front and rear sections of hackle are cut from the para post to form a pair of spinner wings.
- Hook: TMC 100 in size 12
- Thread: Danville 6/0 Flymaster in Wine
- Tail: Hareline Moose Body Hair
- Body: Hareline Natural Deer Hair
- Post: McFlylon PolyPro in Pink
- Hackle: Whiting Dry Fly Cape in Grizzly