New 2014 Simms G3 Guide Stockingfoot Waders Reviews
Bombproof Quality, Innovative Design Review by TexNewMex
I researched long and hard before I pulled the trigger on these. At 500 bucks a pop, they better be the best. And they are.
I've probably put in close to 100 days on my G3s and they're still going strong. Here are the reasons I think they're the best on the market:
1) Quality: Made in the USA, backed by a great warranty
2) Toughness: I do a lot of backcountry bushwhacking and these waders take a beating and keep on going. The 5 layer legs, and 4 layer uppers have stood up to brush, thorns, stray hooks, falls, sliding on rocks without even any sign of abraiding.
3) Comfort and Fit: Goretex fabric breathes amazingly well and the range of sizes Simms offer is better than any other competitor. For the first time, I have a pair of waders that actually fit my short, stocky frame.
4) Design: the fold out tippet tender/tool pouch is a game changer. It keeps all my tools and tippet at my fingertips without having to put on a heavy vest. I stick a small fly box in the front pouch, and I'm ready. These waders are a minimalist's dream.
A few small quibbles:
1) The fold out tool pouch is easy to accidentally pee on when you hike down the waders to answer nature's call.
2) The handwarmer pockets are difficult to access because they have flaps covering the entrances. (meant to prevent snagging when operating drift boat oars, but pretty useless to us hoofers)
3) One of the nylon tabs for attaching tools ripped through on mine, causing me to lose a zinger with my nippers etc. This may have been partially my fault for forcing a zinger that was too big, stretching the hole, but I was still irked.
Overall, you'd be hard pressed to find a better pair of waders. If you are only an occasional fly fisher, you'd do better to buy something less spendy. However, if you are and avid fisher who spends every free day on the water, I highly recommend investing in a pair of the G3s.
Absolutely Love them Review by Joe
I recently upgraded from the "Headwaters" waders to the G3 and I cannot be more happy with my decision.
The "Headwaters" are 3-ply Gore-Tex and the G3's are 5-ply; however, the G3's are MUCH more flexible and comfortable.
The articulated knee makes moving around a breeze and the overall quality construction/durability can easily withstand long hikes through brush and scraps along rocks with no breakdown.
These waders are amazing.
I primarily fish in Virginia, where we will have 90 degree summers and 25 degree winters and these perform equally well in both conditions. As intended, the Gore-Tex breathes extremely well and does not get damp on the inside in warmer weather, but keeps your bone dry and warm in the colder conditions as well.
The only con, if I had to think of one, has nothing to do with their "on water" performance...they are a bit cumbersome to pack. If you travel or fly a lot, which I do not very often, but they do not pack down easily and take up a lot of space in luggage.
That aside, I recommend these waders to anyone in the market for a new pair.
Lastly...warranty/repair. The Simms company has one of the best customer service departments i have ever encountered. In an era where the "service" is lost is "Customer Service" they are overly helpful and turn around repairs in a quick fashion.
I have not had any problems with these waders, but when I had a leak in my Headwaters, the whole repair process was very easy and hassle free. Your first repair is free and they pay for shipping (both ways). Shipping from VA to MD, it took about 10 days to fix and receive the waders back...amazing.
Great job Simms, this product is why your name holds its own in the fishing world.
All the hype is true! Review by Wayne
I bought these right after having bought some cabelas guidetech waders, because I heard they were comparable. This couldn't be further from truth. The Simms G3 are truly incredible. The stockings are so comfortable and fit my feet without a lot of excess bulk in the ankle. The quality of the materials is easily felt and seen. The durability is unmatched. They breath as well as any waterproof fabric I've used. The tippet pocket is very handy and the hand warmer pocket gets used more than I thought it would. Don't waste your money on a bunch of cheap pairs of waders that aren't comfortable and wear out quickly. Just buy these once.
Posted on 10/10/14
Awesome waders - my choice Review by Wojciech
I have been using these waders for ten years. I had the previous two models and I have the latest model of these waders. I have never had any problems with them. The waders look awesome. Simms have the best design on the market. They are made from 5 and 3 layer of Gore-Tex. These waders have an incredible breathability, I use them even on very hot days. The price is similar to other good companies. They are absolutely the best waders for me.
Posted on 10/10/14
Write Your Own Review
Only registered users can write reviews. Please, log in or register